On a hot but slightly cloudier day a small group of WI members visited this delightful garden.
We met the owner who gave us a brief history and a map. Also itemised lists of all the plants.
The garden was originally laid out by Gertrude Jekyll in 1908 (house dated from 1500’s) with stone walls to make terraces where there had been a grass slope. In 1984 the current owner found it in disarray and brought it back to life, using Jekyll’s original plans and where possible original planting.
We found a few plants we had not heard of including a thistle with a wonderful flower. We repaired to the local pub for lunch to complete a lovely visit.