A group of members and partners enjoyed a guided tour of the Bodleian Library. We were all given audio packs so that the guide’s commentary did not disturb the readers.
The University’s first purpose built library was begun in approximately 1320 in the University Church of St Mary the Virgin. By 1488, the room was superseded by the library known as Duke Humfrey’s, which constitutes the oldest part of the Bodleian.
Thomas Bodley, after he retired as a diplomat to Queen Elizabeth 1st, used his wife’s money to refurbish the library and managed to persuade many others to donate their collections of books and manuscripts.
A very interesting tour and much to be recommended, we finished with a coffee in the new library where we had been directed to a small exhibition about translation.